Tuesday 15 May 2012

Time to Reflect - Part 1 / On Your Mark...Set...

So...After 4 long months of winter training, and over 900km logged, 
it's all behind me. 

This sentiment isn't really true, because running, much like life will always just be 'THERE'. It just that things won't ever quite be the same. It is true however, that the BMO Vancouver Marathon of 2012 is behind me, but with each step forward I carry the lessons learned (some harder than others) over those months.

I am sorry my wrap-up entry has taken me so long to write. In all honesty I needed some quiet time to reflect on the event. In the end, I know it was about so much more, I can see that, but on May 6th it was all about the Marathon and the questions...Was I ready? Was I fit enough? Was I tough enough? In my heart I know the answer to those questions was a resounding yes, but it didn't come together as I had so clearly visualized.

I headed to Vancouver a couple days prior to race day to spend time with family (some of whom had traveled a mighty far distance to cheer me on) and to get a little swept up in the hustle and bustle. The Marathon banners lined the streets and the forecast was showing nothing was sunshine and blue skies for race day.  Dad and I made our way to the Expo on Friday and picked up my race package - along with a pair of amazing pink socks that had RACE DAY written all over 'em.

Saturday, Kat and I took dad's Porsche for a cruise around the first 15km so we could get a sense for the elevation gain and we both felt pretty confident that the hills were no match for our training!  The rest of the day was spent getting my bags packed for the morning, and enjoying some quiet time reflecting on the past four months. 

 I also spent some time meditating on my 'words to run by'
The mission was simple, leave 'em all on the road. 
From SMILE to PERSISTENCE and COURAGE to CHAMPION.

FUNDRAISING UPDATE: $6,922

Kat, Shari and I
 In total LaceUp4Lupus had six runners taking part in the event!  Three full marathoners and three half marathoner. We all got together on Saturday night and were treated to box seats at the Whitecaps game where the seasoned runners talked strategy and pre-race meal plans while the first timers did everything to calm their nerves. It was a wonderful way for us all to share in the anticipation.

Cheerin' on the 'Caps
 After the game it was just about time to hit the hay, but not without a quick stop to see my cheer squad that made the trip over from Victoria earlier that day.  They sent me off with well wishes for a sound sleep and the promise of big cheers at the start line! I met Shari, Kat and Shari's sister Deb at our hotel and we shared some laughs in our pre-race rituals. I'm convinced the girls were all jealous of my magic food sac!

Just as I was tucking into bed for a totally broken, restless sleep I received the most wonderful gift. A text, nudging me to check my inbox...and there, waiting for me was a personalized video created by a dear friend back home with well wishes from some of my closest mates and of course Lee (who wasn't able to make the trip). I laughed, I cried, I felt loved. I promised to keep the video a secret to protect those who like to dress in costume, but the message was clear...GO WITH THE FLOW...JUST GO WITH THE FLOW!



CHECK BACK SOON FOR PART 2 - Full Race Recap!

 It's not too late to sponsor the team!  
CLICK HERE TO HELP US BREAK $7000!!!

















































No comments:

Post a Comment