Thursday 12 April 2012

Wanna meet who else is 'Lacin' Up?'

So...It's official...less than 1 month until the race!  Feels crazy to say that, but I am getting pretty close to ready. Training over the past two weeks has been really consistent. I conquered my longest run two Sundays ago and logged 35km with my girls, Kat and Jani. It was a great day that saw us circumnavigate the southern tip of Vancouver Island!  My legs felt strong and I managed to finish just shy of my marathon pace, which was a pretty big confidence booster.

I am gearing up for my peak run this weekend which will be close to 37km.  I am planning on meeting up with a couple gals for the second half so I won't have to run it all on my own. My regular partner in crime, Jani is tapering this week as she rests her legs for the London Marathon, April 22.

What I wanted to spend some time chatting about today are the amazing pack members who have been supporting this project along the way. They all have their own events - from 5kms to Boston Marathons, but without their support LaceUp4Lupus would not have been such a success. Here is a brief description about these wonderful runners and what I have come to admire about each of them.

One of my great friends sponsored me with these awesome orange laces and all my pack members have been proudly sporting them for the cause.

My Laces




Shari's Laces

Shari Jonasson
We first met in 1987 and have crossed oceans to be together!  Many of our years were spent on the soccer field, but trust me when I tell you this girl can do anything she puts her mind to. Shari is taking on the Half Marathon in Vancouver and the Goddess Half Marathon with me three weeks following that. This lady is a Goddess in every sense of the word.

Kat's pooch Juno, sporting her laces!
Katherine Ahokas
This fleet footed ND has recently come back to Victoria and we have logged a lot of miles together as she gears up for the Vancouver Marathon as well. This is one tough girl who has completed, Boston and NY! Love will be sweepin' her back to Eastern Canada the day after the race. I will be sad to see her leave so soon, but am grateful for the time we have spent together. Kat makes me run faster than I thought I could. 
Tracy's Laces

Tracy Forsberg
Vancouver will be Tracy's first marathon and I don't doubt for a second that this Dr. is gonna surprise herself! Trace has had to log most of her miles on her own which speaks volumes of the strength this gal possesses. We met in 2002 through soccer and have been friends ever since.


Kirsten Dibblee
Bean-town is where is long-time athlete is headed. Kirsten is a two-time Iron Man finisher and qualified to run the prestigious Boston Marathon last year. We met through soccer and I am blown away by her dedication and commitment to training.

Lori's Laces
Lori Steffler
I was so excited when Lori came on board! Vancouver is where Lori now calls home, and I so wish I got to see her more often. We met at Uvic in 2001 and she has always held a special place in my heart. She has found a new love for yoga, but still makes time to get out and smell the roses as she trains for her return to the Half Marathon in May.
Margaret's Lace
Margaret Case
My office-mate totally surprised me by signing up to join the team, but it shouldn't have.  We became fast friends when she came to work in our 'shop' and I know she is someone I can count on 100%. Margaret has registered for the Gutbuster 12km trail run in Nanaimo, which will be her longest event to date!  Love it.

Jennifer Allen
Jenn's laces
The Vancouver Half Marathon will be Jenn's first go at this distance. With two young kids at home Jenn has had to make training fit into a pretty demanding schedule. Lots of runs on the treadmill have tested this lady's iron will. Can't wait to share in the joy of her accomplishment!

Dad's laces
Ian Kirkconnell
Dad was the first pack member to complete their event!  After admitting to not having run in over 40 years, dad began training in January for his first 5km - and on St. Patty's Day we crossed the finish line together to celebrate this huge achievement. He has been one of my biggest supporters and I know his strength will help me through the Marathon when I need it most.

Together these amazing runners have helped me raise $5872!! That is $1600 more than my original goal! I am super pleased with this number, but would LOVE to make it over $6000. I will be making a final push for donations in the coming three weeks, so if you haven't had a chance to donate yet, now is your opportunity.

Simply follow this link and show your support for these amazing runners who are setting and achieving their own goals all in the name of increasing funds and awareness for Lupus.

P.S. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my two honorary team members...
Jani Urquhart and Michelle Relf.

Michelle's laces
Jani's laces
Jani and I have logged countless miles together since January and getting to know her over the past four months has reminded me again that running gives so many gifts! I can honestly say her support and enthusiasm has been a huge part of keeping me on track. Jani has been doing her own fundraising as she fulfills her dream of running the London Marathon!
Michelle, has been recovering from a long standing injury and is working hard to get back to running. She is an amazing RMT and has been supporting me throughout my training with regular massages!  Her magic hands are a big part of keeping me on track.

Thanks for following along. Happy trails.

THE COUNTDOWN TO VAN IS ON!!


No comments:

Post a Comment