Wednesday 8 February 2012

Hot to Trot...NOT


I felt that after a couple ‘seriously deep’ posts it was time to lighten it up a bit with an inside peak into some of the dirty little secrets of long distance running!  I have been pondering this post for a while, wondering how much I am comfortable divulging…But in the end this blog is about getting to know me a bit better and the somewhat kooky world I live in.  So here goes.

Distance running is NOT, I repeat is NOT a glamorous sport. Last week I was watching the Australian Open and on numerous occasions I thought to myself…”Self, these are some damn fine lookin’ ladies!”  And I am certain that I have never looked like this or this at any point in time during a run.  How come?!”  I still haven’t arrived at an answer, and I am pretty sure I never will - Just an observation really.

This was reinforced on Sunday as I arrived home from my long run.  My girlfriend, Kat and I headed out for a tough 25km on Sunday morning and as we cruised back to my place I headed to the bathroom for a quick splash of water and caught a fleeting glance of myself in the mirror…OMG…is that what I look like?  DOH…Poor Kat has had to run beside this glowing salt lick for the past two hours.  People must have thought I had lost a bet or something, or that I was on some crazy reality TV show where they punish you with wild physical challenges.  If only they knew...

Now that you have a visual of what I look like at the end of a run (add tangled and matted hair to that glowing salt lick and top it all off with some neon pink sunglasses), lets chat a bit about the prep for a long run because it is a pretty funny thing too.  I always have to laugh when I am ‘gearing’ up for a long run.
-       Gooey sticky gel stuff that I will be consuming periodically – CHECK
-       Electrolyte replacement fluid (because apparently I am loosing all my sodium through my sweat) - CHECK
-       Good layer of ‘Body Glide’ to prevent chaffing in the most uncomfortable of places
     CHECK! This one is worth a double check!!

With all my necessities checked off I am ready to hit the road.  I am so grateful that my dear running partners tolerate my ridiculous style and sweaty self. Thanks girls!  Can't wait for our 3 hour adventure this weekend.

Happy trails to all!

I recently saw a hilarious Youtube video that summarized this all perfectly...
 

"First you feel like dying. 
Then you feel reborn." 
Asics

FUNDRAISING UPDATE:
LU4L is the top fundraising team in the country!
Raised over $2500 to date
'Pack' is 8 members strong...and growing

CLICK HERE TO SPONSOR THE TEAM TODAY

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete